Saturday, January 1, 2011

Meeting Ascepius and "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself"

Meeting Asciepius by far was one of the most wonderful exercises I have done and I think this is mainly due to the fact that I always think about this person and I call this person, "Uncle Anthony Yeo", a mentor, a father-figure and someone who has loved me unconditionally for the last 16 years of my life. I lost him to Leukaemia in 2009. I felt that it was so easy to think about him and visualize the light and all. I often get dreams about him which further enhances my meditative practice. I think that through my meditative practice I get the chance to be quiet and understand my own feelings, becoming aware of them always helps so that emtions that are negative do not get out of hand and when they do not get out of hand, it helps me psychologically because then I do not have to deal with more baggage lol!

Continuing with meditative practices is really a matter of discipline. First of all, one has to belive that it helps and only when there exist such strong beliefs will one make the time for meditation. So, for me, it is a matter of making the time no matter how painful and overwhelming dalily events can sometimes be.

Well, well, I think it is about “talking the talk but not walking the walk” is quite similar to “One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself”. For example, how can Suzanna tell Esther to be a team player when Suzanna herself goes around gosipping about other team members! See what I mean? It is about practicing what one preaches. As a health and wellness professional, I must uphold to the standards that I would like for my clients to be at; for instance, if I tell my students to dance without a mirror so that they can feel every movement and not be distracted by their own image, then I must do so similarly. If I do so otherwise, then my students will not truly know what it is like to feel every movement because I would not be able to describe or demonstrate to them with all that is within me because to begin with I never did it myself.

For me, at this point of my life, psychological and spiritual growth comes when I have a plan, setting goals to accomplish my plan. Ways for me to help myself psychologically and spiritually is, first of all, do not stretch myself too much, see to the completion of projects that are already on my plate. Plan, plan, plan but allow flexibility. Most of all, prayer...

5 comments:

  1. Subrina,
    I agree with you that this exercise had the greatest impact so far. I felt very connected to the person I pictured in the meditation and gained immense strength and energy from the exercise.
    I also agree with you that in order to be successful in our lives on a holistic level, we must practice what we preach. We must show our clients that we are doing the same actions and exercises to obtain integral health that we educate them on and teach them to do. If we do not, their success will not be as great and our success will continue to elude us.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Subrina,

    This exercise also had the greatest impact on me since starting this term. My father, who passed from lung cancer in May 2005 was the mentor I chose. I was very close with my father and during this meditation, I felt his strength, love and energy that came from him. It was an experience I had not felt before. An awesome exercise! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subrina:
    That is wonderful you were able to visualize your mentor in this exercise. Sorry to hear about his death. My mentor wasn't known but she had a very wise and comforting presence. I agree it takes discipline to continue to practice the mindfulness exercises. This could be another requirement to "walk the walk" during our practice as wellness professionals.

    Thanks for your wonderful contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Subrina:

    I too have chosen a person close to me, my dad, who has leukemia right now. He is the strongest person that I know and I have a great deal of respect, adoration and love for him. Thoughts of him inspire me to want to be a better person, and he helps me to instill thoughts of hope in everything that I do. He is truly an inspiration.

    I really liked the quote about not leading someone somewhere that you have not gone yourself. I immediately thought to this pediatrician that I know from work who has no children! I certainly appreciate his thoughts and knowledge from the medicinal standpoint, but when he tries to tell a parent how to raise their child it makes me raise my eyebrows a little bit!

    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Subrina, I really love the way you describe your experiences, and this was another wonderful entry. The manner in which you relate to the Wise One is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete